Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employee be switched from shift pay to hourly pay?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2015
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
Does the employee have a contract? In which state does the employee work? What type of work does the employee perform?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
He does not have a contract and he works in the state of California. He is a cook. Some days he works 14 hours and other days he may only work 5 hours.
he is paid the same amount, regardless of the amount of hours he works.
I see. Yes, an employee may be changed from shift pay to hourly under these circumstances typically.
You will want to ensure they are paid at least minimum wage plus time and one-half for hours exceeding 8 per day, but there would typically be no reason you could not pay the employee on an hourly basis going forward under these circumstances.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!
Does it matter if the employee is union?
It could, if the union agreement dictates how the employee is paid--by shift or hourly. Yes that could make a difference depending on the terms of the agreement.
there is no specific language about hourly rate.
Then you would typically be free to change the rate and method of determining pay with notice to the employee.
how much notice is necessary?
Notice should be enough so that the employee has time to consider the "new offer", which is how the law would characterize a change in terms of employment and either accept or reject the modification. A day or two is enough under most circumstances, but a week or two is preferable.
If he rejects the offer, am I obliged to continue to pay him shift pay? or does it terminate his employment?
Hello again,
If he rejects the new offer, then that would typically terminate his employment unless the bargaining agreement states otherwise.