Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My boss promised, but never paid me I did. I did the

Customer Question
My boss promised, but never...
My boss promised, but never paid me for work I did. I did the work, I invoiced him, he kept telling me this day, then another day. Every time I went in & he wasn't there I asked someone who I know writes checks. Several declined, but one did. We didn't conspire to defraud him, I was just trying to get paid so I could eat, live, etc.
Now he's scouring tape to try to accuse me of stealing things he told me I could have while putting me off for not paying me. I've been told he had the police in several times to look @ film & they said it didn't look like I was stealing, its an in-house matter, deal with it.
Now he is harassing all the other employees to write statements against me, & they are scared. Should I be worried? What options do I have to get him to stop?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/3/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is nonsense on behalf of the employer and it is malicious and willful violation of the wage act, which would entitle you to sue for up to 3 times the wages due plus attorney's fees. You need to file a complaint with the state department of labor wage and hour division regarding violation of the wage act (or you can file a civil suit against him for the wages and 3 times that amount as penalty for willful and malicious non-payment).
As far as his claims against you, even if they were true, he cannot withhold wages for it. That is illegal.
Also, you should not be worried, you need to file the wage claim and pursue him and if he takes any action against you for doing so then it is a separate suit against him for retaliation and you could receive emotional distress damages for that as well as 3 times your wages.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney