Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I informed my employer of my intention to retire in writing…

Customer Question
I informed my employer of...
I informed my employer of my intention to retire in writing on 3/25/2015 with my last day of work being 5/22/2015. This notice was accepted and that date was the understood date of my retirement. On 4/25/2015 I was informed that I would be terminated 5/4/2015. I was terminated on 5/4/2015 without pay through the agreed upon retirement date. Am I due compensation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/3/2015
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Please tell me
Are you under an employment contract with a start date and an end date?
Is not, you are considered "at will" - And an employer can accept a resignation/retirement letter and then discharge sooner. However, I suggest that it is up to company policy if they are going to pay you though your retirement date - as a parting gift, so to speak.
I suggest that they are under no legal obligation to pay you for any time you did not work.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law