Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We need to lay off 3 employees that work at a joint venture…

Customer Question
We need to lay off...
We need to lay off 3 employees that work at a joint venture location since this location is permanently closing. Are we required by law in Michigan to first lay off employees at our other locations with less seniority than those 3 at the location closing?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2015
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
Do you have a company policy requiring layoff by seniority? There is no union agreement in place correct?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
No company policy regarding layoffs. Not a union so no union agreement.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
Neither state nor federal law would typically dictate in which order you lay off employees at different sites. You could lay off all employees at one site if you are closing the office.
The only law which may apply would typically involve the federal WARN Act, which requires certain notices to employees where a site is being closed, but it does not appear you are laying off enough employees to be covered by this statute.
Here is a link which provides information on this statute for your reference:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/layoff-protections-michigan-employees.html
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!