How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5686
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work large hospital & had been on fmla least

Customer Question

HI I work for a large hospital & had been on fmla for at least 5 years due to chronic illnesses. During 1of many inpatient visits using my fmla I contracted HAMRSA which added to my illnesses. while I was in the hospital for colitis my FMLA got exhausted & put on std then Ltd which runs out next week.. a friend told me I probably have a case against the hospital my employer for getting HAMRSA due to their negligence. I will lose my job & health insurance next week. I believe I contracted HAMRSA in 2009 & since then have had numerous HAMRSA infections & will continue to for the rest of my life...Is there anything I can do legally to at least have them continue my health insurance for the rest of my life? Or do I need to talk to someone in HR or another department? I never thought this could be an option but it makes sense..PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS..Or a different option I might have??
ROBIN HAVER ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.
You had an arguable case against the hospital for medical malpractice but your time to file a claim has long since run out. Medical malpractice claims in Michigan must be filed the sooner of 2 years from the date of discovery or 6 years from occurrence of alleged malpractice.
Being that there is no possibility of suit (and a lawsuit would have taken at least a year or longer anyway) and your job is terminating you, you should consider filing for social security disability.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.