Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been discriminated against at work. Other employees…

Customer Question
I have been discriminated against...
I have been discriminated against at work. Other employees are getting preferential treatment because there kids are younger than mine. Is there anything legally I can do about this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/2/2015
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
retireddebra
I need the basic facts please. Also, are you in a union?
No, I am not part of a union
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
You missed my first question. I need the basic facts. Please also include how long you worked there for and what your boss has said.
I asked my supervisor to explain something out of the ordinary on the schedule and she said to me " I couldn't ask one of the Moms to do it". I am a mom.
I started with this company January 2013 and so did the other Moms. My boss just said " I know she needs help with her personal skills"
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
Did you tell her that you were a mom? Is your boss going to ensure that you are treated fairly from now on?Is this because you are older than the other moms?
I did tell her I am a Mom, she knows that.My boss is not aware of this most recent incident as he has been out of town.It's because my kids are older.
I am older than the other Moms and my supervisor
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
If it is because your kids are older then that is not considered unlawful discrimination. But if it is because you are older then it is unlawful as it is discrimination based on age in the workplace. I suggest you wait until your boss comes back and then you discuss this with your boss and state that you are a mother like the other mothers and that you view this as discrimination based on age. (You don't have to say that it is really only discrimination if it is about your age) and tell your boss that you need this to stop or you will have to speak to the Human Rights Tribunal and see if they can help you. This will likely scare your boss into doing something with this supervisor so you are not treated differently than the other mothers.
ok. Thank you
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
You are very welcome.