Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question about Social Security Disability. My 23…

Customer Question
i have a question about...
i have a question about Social Security Disability. My 23 year old daughter has lyme disease. We know she has had it for about 2-3 years maybe longer. This is a bacterial infection that has increased hugely in the past few years. The effects are many but basically normal life becomes very difficult. Unable to go to school or work because of fatigue, pain, poor eating, sleeping, brain function problems etc. She hasn't worked more than a few months in total since high school. Is there any financial help for her through SSI Disability or any other agency.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/2/2015
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Employment lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
Here she can apply for SSI. It is for folks that have been unable to work enough to qualify for SSDI.You apply for this here or in person.It is designed for disabled persons who have little or no income.
http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/
The federal benefit rate for 2015 is $733.She also likely qualifies for medicaid here to if she gets SSI, maybe food stamps as well.
Medicaid called Medi-Cal in California, apply here.
http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/ApplyforMedi-Cal.aspx
Food Stamps now called CalFresh..
http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/foodstamps/
I would apply for all of these.She would likely qualify .
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.
Ray, Employment lawyer