Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

An employer in an "At Will" State, made my friend sign a two-

Customer Question
year employment contract and then...
An employer in an "At Will" State, made my friend sign a two- year employment contract and then separately, made him sign a prommisory note for the hiring fee the company paid to a recruiter if my friend leaves the company within two years! Legal??
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/1/2015
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 3 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal about this from what you present in your facts. An employment contract may be offered and it can be accepted or declined. As to the Promissory Note, it is not unheard of that an employer will pay a recruiter and then request the employee repay it if they do not stay employed for a certain period of time.I am curious however, if the Contract has any provisions in it as to if he should be terminated? Or if he can still be terminated at will? Also what happens to the Promissory note if he is terminated before the 2 year contract? In other words, what protections are there for your friend, if you know.