Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there a statute of limitations to file a claim violation…

Customer Question
Is there a statute of...
Is there a statute of limitations to file a claim for a violation of civil rights?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2015
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
Yes, what is the background of the claim? Which state?
Thank you.
Racial discrimination harassment , New Jersey
Deciding an issue that had divided the Federal Appellate Courts, the U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that the four-year statute of limitations enacted by Congress in 1990 applies to claims of racial discrimination and harassment brought under the Civil Rights Act of 1866, a statute commonly known as Section 1981. 42 U.S.C.
For workplace claims the statute of limitations is 6 months. Also, state claims carry a 2 yr limitation period.