Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

First of all I like my job, but I draw the line at being taken…

Customer Question
First of all I like...
First of all I like my job, but I draw the line at being taken advantage of. There are so many issues here but the main one is back unpaid overtime. I've been with this comp.for 2yrs come oct.2015, I' am a medix driver and working 10 to 15 hrs a-day and getting paid for 7 to 9 hrs is wrong. what can I do. Im currently working with an injury from this job that occured on sept.2014. I know they would like me to quit based on their attiude toward me because I' am under doctor orders requiring work restrictions. One of the corporate bosses will be up today at 2pm with a new company policy for everyone to sign, I have a feeling it's regarding overtime and them not paying us drivers only until we pick up a client,I wait on duty until my dispatcher supervisor text's me work site to go to, when I log time for pre-commuting,waiting on duty because I' am engaged to wait because I'm required to be at a work site while waiting to perform work, and add my breaks(I'am under doctor restrictions)I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/30/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Are you asking about getting paid for the time you wait around for the dispatcher to text you about a run you have to make? What do you do or what can you do during that time (can you go where you want and do personal tasks during that time)?
As far as waiting time, the employer has to pay you for time you are engaged to wait, but not for time where you are waiting to be engaged to work. So is the employer paying you for the time where you are engaged to wait?
Tina, Lawyer