Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I have been on Medical leave time due to harassment

Customer Question

I have been on Medical leave for some time due to harassment and sexual harassment in the workplace. My employer now is trying any and everything to frame me into resigning. Each time I speak with them over the phone all they do is lie and manipulate my words and the situation. I was offered verbally a separation package of which I was told would be sent over for my review. I then sent an email recapping the situation and what I was told and invited them to rethink the offer in light of the situation. No email with an offer ever came. I got a phone call a week later of which I was out of pocket due to a close friends death and did not return. I did upon getting back into things send an email to let them know I got there msg to return the call but to protect myself and in the spirit of transparency I expressed that moving forward If they wanted to share any info with me or send me any documents for review they could do so by email. The return I got from that was they have tried to contact me multiple times and they if I only intended to communicate via email that they would consider that me not cooperating and they would take appropriate action and disciplinary actions. What are my options legally? I'm currently not being paid and they are not paying for my phone to communicate with them.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Please retain counsel immediately, or if that is not possible, contact the local EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) and file for a grievance on the basis of discrimination based on disability as well as a hostile work environment. Demanding that they send everything via email is frankly professional and reasonable, not uncooperative, and if they do continue to call you for work related tasks, you can demand compensation. This is why I am suggesting counsel, since it does appear as if they are trying to get you to quit or get fired by arguing that you are not cooperating.
Please take care.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.