Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a boss discussing a situation about a employee in my bosses…

Customer Question
I'm a boss discussing a...
I'm a boss discussing a situation about a employee in my bosses office my phone in my pocket accidentally dialed the person who was being discussed without my knowledge she recorded our conversation about her , can she play this recording to her Union legally?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/29/2015
Employment Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law and litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
Pennsylvania makes it a crime to intercept or record a telephone call or conversation unless all parties to the conversation consent. See 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5703 (link is to the entire code, choose Title 18, Part II, Article F, Chapter 57, Subchapter B, and then the specific provision). Pennsylvania is what is termed a "two-party" consent state.
So, even though you accidentally dialed, it was unlawful for her to record and would be unlawful for her to play it for others - including her union.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Please rate my response positively as well.
Best wishes going forward!
thank you
No worries. Let me know if anything else comes up. Please rate my answer positively as well so I can receive credit for my answers. Thanks
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks