How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife wants to decline receiving half of my pension if we

Customer Question

My wife wants to decline receiving half of my pension if we divorce in exchange for her keeping her retirement money she saved up how can we document this and is putting this in the separation paper work good enough
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Putting this into the separation agreement is not sufficient. Where it needs to go is into your divorce settlement agreement that you sign right before the judge orders the dissolution to occur. Beforehand, since you are still lawfully married, placing it in the separation agreement will not be binding on the parties. So when you begin to place all terms and conditions of your divorce together, you can add this to the agreement, and so long as both of you agree, the judge will very likely sign off on it.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Employment Law Questions