Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How do I protect myself from an employer who is lying to protect…

Customer Question
How do I protect myself...
How do I protect myself from an employer who is lying to protect another employee after he neglected to give me the proper safety equipment I am required to have by OSHA law for two months.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/28/2015
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
Have you reported the safety issues you're experiencing to OSHA?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
No I didn't but I did learn I have that right but I think it's to late because it happened in December to February and I now have a new harness
I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
If you had reported the safety issue to OSHA, which is typically a good course of action where the employer resists or ignores your safety concerns, then you would typically be protected by law against retaliation by the employer for reporting the safety issue.
It is often a closer call whether whistleblower protection is afforded where an employee only complains internally about safety matters, but since you did repeatedly complain to the employer about this and it appears you are now experiencing retaliation, it would be best to retain a local employment law attorney who handles whistleblower claims.
A communication to the employer from the attorney can help protect your rights and should get the employer to cease their retaliatory actions.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!
I thought you would help direct me to a lawyer who could help me. I already know that I need a lawyer so this doesn't help me at all.
Hello again,
You asked how to protect yourself and I provided an answer to that. We are not permitted to provide attorney referrals through this website but the state bar association can assist you with that.
Here is a link to their website for your reference:
http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Lawyer_Referral_Service_LRIS_
Thank you
You are very welcome and good luck to you with this matter!
Tina, Lawyer