Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work private school as a residential office manager

Customer Question
I work for a private...
I work for a private school as a residential office manager and have had the same position for 15 years. My position requires me to work the school year from orientation the last week in August to mid June. The school offers a summer camp for six weeks starting in July. I do not work during that time. Today I was approached by the director telling me they need for me to work for these six weeks. It was not said to me but I felt indirectly I was being told that if I did not work these weeks, I would be terminated. Can they force me to do this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/28/2015
Employment Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you tonight.
If you do not have an employment contract that states to the contrary, then you are employed at will. This means you can be legally terminated for any reason or no reason at all - unless the termination is rooted in discrimination based on race, gender, age or handicap.
In the present case, the administration can tell you to work this 6 week period of you may face termination. However, in so doing, they must also compensate you for this new work assignment.
So, in conclusion, they can do this but they must compensate you at the same rate that you are being paid at currently.
I wish I had better news for you, but I want you to know the legal reality of the situation.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer positively as well if you have gained knowledge from the answer.
Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward.
Just checking in one last time - not to bother, but just to make sure you are good to go moving forward. Best!