How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have worked as a civilian at an air force base for

Customer Question

I have worked as a civilian at an air force base for almost 30 years. A couple of months ago, my supervisor informed me I would soon be working for a guy who had bullied me. I had an anxiety attack and went to the doctor, who put me on anti anxiety meds. When I got back to work, a coworker asked me if i was crazy, and people from another building started calling to see if the rumors were true. When I questioned my supervisor, she said the walls are thin and she might have left her door open when she was discussing my anxiety with another supervisor. I can't make myself go back to work. I have filed paperwork for medical leave, but I am afraid if i go back everyone will think I'm crazy and will give me a hard time. I was only about 6 months away from retirement. Can you help me please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
There are a few options available to you. See the following:
(1) You can request a transfer to another division so that you can serve the remainder of your time outside of the trigger for your stress related can get a physician note which effectively makes this request for you. The legal term is a reasonable accommodation;
(2) You get see about receiving a disability leave of absence in view of your stress related condition. You could even seek a disability retirement in that regard; and
(3) You could file a workers compensation claim with the help of your physician based on your stress related illness which stems directly from your work environment.
Any of those three choices would work relative to your situation and how close you are to retirement.
I will say this as well. You arguably already have a hostile work environment claim predicated on discrimination in view of the employer's disclosure of your illness. If they are unwilling to cooperate on the aforementioned three items, for whatever reason, you should file a complaint with the EEOC which could in turn lead you to being able to file a federal cause of action against the employer that may result in damages being awarded to you.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please rate my answer positively if you have been assisted at all.
Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward.