Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I want to file an age discrimination case under the dc human…

Customer Question
i want to file an...
i want to file an age discrimination case under the dc human rights act, DC Code section 2-1403. It happened in late june of 2014 and I filed with the eeoc. I did not follow-up and my letter to sue came in November of 2014, but DC has human right law that gives me a year. Can I file under DC law without doing anything else?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
I know I did not file a claim based on the ADEA within the 90 days of the right to sue letter, but I am still within the 1 year statue of limitations under the DC human rights acts, so am I okay. Should I immediately contact the EEOC again and see if my case was referred to the DC human right commission or should I call the commission or just file.
5/26/2015
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I know I did not file a claim based on the ADEA within the 90 days of the right to sue letter, but I am still within the 1 year statue of limitations under the DC human rights acts, so am I okay. Should I immediately contact the EEOC again and see if my case was referred to the DC human right commission or should I call the commission or just file
Response: Contact EEOC again to see if your case was referred to the DC Human Rights Commission and then go from there. You do not want to be opening up a duplicate case and further complicating matters.