Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I just gave notice to my employer that I will be leaving in 2 weeks... this is reque

Customer Question

Hi... I just gave notice to my employer that I will be leaving in 2 weeks... this is requested in my contract.
I am a contract employee... working for an agency that supplies contractors for Microsoft
I am wondering about my rights... e.g. if they decide to not let me finish out my 2 weeks...and decide to terminate me immediately.
I'm also wondering if they demand to know why I'm leaving and where I'm going... if I have to give them any information
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. Whether or not the Company you are working for can let you go immediately, versus letting you work for the two week notice period depends entirely on whether or not the contract is a term contract. In other words, if you have a guaranteed job until XX date, and your two week notice takes you to that XX date, then the employer must let you work that period or pay you for the balance of the contract. On the other hand, if there is not term period and either party can terminate without cause, then unless the contract states that both parties must give two weeks notice, your employer could let you go right away. That said, there would be a valid argument to be made that if the contract required two weeks notice on your part, then it should also require that your employer do the same.
If this were an "at will" situation with no contract, then the employer would not be required to let you serve out the two weeks and would not be required to pay you for that time. So, again, depends entirely on the language in your contract and whether it is a term contract or not.
As for your reason and where you are going, you would not be required to provide that information. If you have signed a non-compete agreement, they may want to know if you are accepting employment that will violate it, but you are not required to help them figure that out.
Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.