Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We get $120000 from oil pipeline settlement, lawyer will take…

Customer Question
we get $120000 from oil...
we get $120000 from oil pipeline settlement, lawyer will take 35%, how do we pay tax? do we need to pay our lawyer's tax? can we ask nontaxable check ? thanks much!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/25/2015
Employment Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
You are not required to pay tax on the portion you pay your attorney. This is not counted as income so is not taxable.
When you file taxes, your accountant can deduct the money you pay your attorney to receive this settlement. That amount would be excluded from your income for the tax year.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.