Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If I am a ten month contracted teacher, can an in-service

Customer Question
I am a ten-month contracted...
I am a ten-month contracted teacher in TN. We began in August. We learned today that a required professional development day has been planned for the 23rd of July. I will be out of town (have already booked vacation). The administrator said it was required and could possibly mean losing my job or not being paid for the day even though I can make the day up with other in-service opportunities. Since my contract and pay are based on ten months, can a prof dev be "required" during months other than my ten contracted months?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/23/2015
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

No matter what, attendance of a professional development day can be required, quite simply because employers can require anything of their employees that is not expressly contrary to the law. The more difficult question to answer is whether the day must be compensated in addition to your regular salary. If your contract is only for ten months of employment and your pay is clearly designated as compensation for that specific duration of time, then most likely your employer must pay you for the professional development day in addition to your salary. But this pay entitlement is completely distinct from whether your employer can "require" your attendance--in all instances they can.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer