Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

On Friday I was told that my position was being eliminated…

Customer Question
On Friday I was told...
On Friday I was told that my position was being eliminated in either July or August and that I would receive a severance at that time. After the conversation, I told another employee my position was being eliminated, who told several others. On Monday I was fired for breech of confidentiality. I feel this is wrongful termination, and my own position being eliminated is not protected information. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/20/2015
Employment Lawyer: wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer replied 3 years ago
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If the employer breached a valid contract, or if your contract stated you cannot be terminated without cause, you can sue the employer for a wrongful termination.
If you do not have a contract, a lawsuit will be difficult, as New Mexico is an at will State, and allows an employer to terminate any employee for any reason, except if it violates the employees protected civil rights.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit, thank you