Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employee fire you if you were told to work a 120

Customer Question
days. Was only there 7...
Can an employee fire you if you were told to work a 120 days. Was only there 7 days before you was released. Said I didn't fit the culture. Reapply in 120 days.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/19/2015
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
First of all, you need to understand that South Carolina is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.
So in short, unless there's good evidence of discrimination based upon one of those factors above, the employer is legally able to terminate you, even if there were verbal assertions that you'd work longer.
I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.