Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Believe i was railroaded to quit my job last week on grounds

Customer Question

believe i was railroaded to quit my job last week on grounds of favortism and unfair wages. ive been with this company for 7 years. made through 2 lay offs. im a hard worker. i knew every job on floor and was fast and efficent. hr tells me im a leader and most wasted potential as employee. been asked to move up. take on more duties and responsability. increasing wages was not thought in their mind. i stayed an operator. the best they had. my supervisor dislikes me. feelings are mutual. was no secret how we felt about eachother. if they needed to get numbers, she put me where needed. never a thank you or nice job.nothing for 7 yrs. last week they were giving raises to everyone. new hires, people that have made 1000 dollar mistakes. co workers on fmla that are gone 50% of time and below their point scale. at 8 your suppose to be fired. this coworker is at 8.5 she should be gone. everyone was givin a .50-.75 cent raise. they offered me .25 cents!!!!! i walked out like slap in face. i believe that was the goal. do i have a good case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question, although I am not certain what kind of case you are thinking you might have. If you are asking if giving other employees raises and not you is unlawful, then the answer is generally no. However, if the action violates a contract, written company policy or is motivated by discrimination because of your sex, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, religion, pregnancy or AIDS/hiv status, then it would be unlawful.
So, if your situation falls into the exceptions I mentioned, you should sit down with a local employment law attorney and discuss all of the details to see whether they think you should file suit. But again, just to be clear, an employer being unfair or preferential is unprofessional and poor management, but not illegal unless it fits into the exceptions I mentioned.
Please feel free to ask for clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 19th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.