Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I've just been off 2nd time by my employer. My

Customer Question
I've just been laid off...
I've just been laid off for the 2nd time by my employer. My exit letter is dated May 12, 2015, but in the body of the letter it appears that the decision to lay me off had been made 3 weeks prior. I am entitled to COBRA based on the original lay-off notice date, NOT the ACTUAL lay-off date. In addition, my former employer had me attend a Corporate sponsored seminar AFTER the original lay-off date of the letter. I am also in a protected class as I am a 56 yr. old African American Female. My question, might I have a case. The employer is in an "At Will State, " as they are in Virginia and I live in Maryland.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/19/2015
Employment Lawyer: wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
This is an unfortunate situation, if you can show that the termination was due to your age, gender, or race, you could file a civil rights complaint against the employer.
You should consider sending a letter first to the HR, threatening such legal action, and see if they try to settle with you, many times an employer who is facing a possible lawsuit may try to work it out with the employee.
In terms of other legal action, being in an at will state, does not allow you to litigate the termination on other grounds.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit, thank you
Thank You. I may want to pursue this. Can you suggest an Attorney in my area that can assist?
We are not allowed to refer Attorneys, however the first step is to make a complaint, after you send the letter, once the office investigates, and if they find out your civil rights were violated, you can hire a local civil rights Attorney or local employment lawyer. The best is to contact your local county bar association for a local Attorney.
Maryland Commission on Civil Rights
William Donald Schaefer Towers
6 Saint Paul Street, Suite 900
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone:(###) ###-####
Toll-Free:(###) ###-####
TTY:(###) ###-####
good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you.
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer