Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I had an unemployment claim which I was granted then my employer

Customer Question

I had an unemployment claim which I was granted then my employer appealed and it was overturned really for no justified reason my attorney appealed and it still held I filed a waiver of overpayment request and followed up and was told they didn't know how long it would take for an answer now it is one year later I filed taxes claiming the money because I never got a response and they kept my state return--- I have not worked in five months and have bad health what do I do now --state Ga
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My overpayment request included my bills and hardship of death of my daughter(death cert) and a notarized statement from a friend that was paying my bills because I had so little coming in
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Contact unemployment office once more and ask for the status of your case. Unfortunately, if your tax refund has already been taken, it is unlikely that you would get it back, but it is still worth it to request for the return of the refund because you have a waiver application pending. If the tax refund intercept did not cover the amount of overpayment, you may consider filing for bankruptcy protection to wipe out the balance of the overpayment once and for all.