How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on H1B visa. I do not wish to JOIN a company after having

Customer Question

I am on H1B visa. I do not wish to JOIN a company after having signed a contract with them. The contract says that I need to work for a minimum of 24 months AFTER HIRING. Upon failing which - I should pay the liquidated damages.
1) Does hiring here mean after joining the company or after being offered to work in the company?
2) This company has transferred my work visa (H1B) to them. So they have incurred the transfer cost. But, anyway, this cost cannot be claimed from the employee as per USCIS. So, what is the maximum liquidated damage that I could attract?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  jludwic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
I am very happy to have you use our service. I see you have put the lowest value on your question.
Perhaps you are not aware but experts on the site are lawyers with years of experience.
My particular focus is business immigration law and see this issue frequently.
I have 34 years experience. Would you be willing to either raise your value to a reasonable amount or accept an offer of additional services where i would have a telephone discussion with you and not put a time limit on the time we talk?
You can google me on the internet to see my qualifications.
If neither of these options are acceptable I will gladly opt out and open this question to other experts.
Judith Ludwic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Judith for the response. I will prefer to wait for someone who can help me out with my two questions.
Expert:  jludwic replied 2 years ago.
No problem. I will opt out.