Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am an employer and received a garnishment of my employees.

Customer Question

I am an employer and received a garnishment for one of my employees. There was a garnishment order and a continuation as well. I was advised that the continuation of garnishment means that I have to submit every 30 days what I have paid that employee, after I filed the initial answer of garnishment. Is that correct? Or did I have to file both together and then keep refiling the other one?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As an employer, you file an answer to continuing garnishment every 30 days if there is an employer/employee relationship. You can also charge the employee administrative costs for responding to the garnishment. O.C.G.A. §18-4-97 provides for a garnishee to recover actual reasonable costs in making a true answer of garnishment. In order to recover costs, the garnishee is entitled to deduct $25.00 or 10% of the amount paid into the court, whichever is greater, not to exceed $50.00 as reasonable attorney fees or expenses and you should add this as an itemized amount in paragraph 3 of the answer to continuing garnishment.
So you file the answer to continuing garnishment every 30 days upon filing the initial answer and continuing garnishment form.