How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been working as a shift manager contractor in

Customer Question

I have been working as a shift manager for a contractor in the airport in Georgia, for three years. Recently, my old boss retired and I gain a new boss. This individual have demoted me from the morning shift to the evening shift, he has lessen my wages from 14.00 ( I have been working this same amount for three years) to 10.50 an hour and finally he told HR that he wants me gone from the department I am working to a 7.25 ( minimum wage ) dept. He has no write up (EDR) on me....nothing is in my file. On observation, I notice he only employ female managers/ workers to replace individuals he have fired.
The HR officer says that I cannot negotiate his decision about my pay or my removal from my position. What should I do? this is going to create hardship for me and my family. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the GA law, unless you had a written employment contract to the contrary, you are considered an at will employee. Sadly, under the GA and federal law, at will employees have very few rights I am afraid, but one of those rights is to not have any action taken against you based solely on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.
So, if this manager is terminating male employees and replacing them with only female employees, this can be what is called a "reverse discrimination" claim. Reverse discrimination cases are usually much harder than other types of discrimination cases to prove, because it does not impact the protected class but the non-protected class. However, if the evidence is showing he is replacing all male employees with female employees, that is strong circumstantial evidence and you can make a complaint to the EEOC, since they must investigate and grant you a right to sue in order to go to court.
Thus, your first step is filing the complaint with the EEOC, and while waiting for them you can be looking for a local attorney to represent you in this matter.