Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have a signed contract with a medical practice to work as

Customer Question

I have a signed contract with a medical practice to work as a PA but have yet to start. An additional practice has since given me their formal offer. I have been honest with my current group about everything (i.e., other offer given to me, having to have some time to decide my decision, complete understanding on their end that I may choose the other, permission if I so choose to get out of current contract, and the reassurance that not only will my opportunity there be available (if I decide to stay) no but also any time in the future (even if I decided to not work there). In a nutshell each group knows each other on an individual level VERY well having worked together in the hospital to collaboratively treat many of the same patients for many many years, etc.
So my question is - are their laws that protect the privacy of my current signed contract specifically to sharing a copy with someone else without my permission. I ask because my current company has shared an exact copy of my terms with the employer that has just written me their offer??????
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Except with respect to certain medical information an employee may provide to their employer, the law does not recognize any privacy rights with regard to one's employment. This means that an employer is free to share whatever information they want with third parties, including contracts and terms of employment, as you describe.
Now, if there was a contractual limitation that the parties decided to impose on an employer's ability to share information with third parties, that might change the answer. Here, although there is a contractual limitation imposed on you as the employee, it seems that limitation does not work both ways. Thus, in the absence of a clause in your contract that expressly prohibits your employer from sharing this information, they violate no law by so doing.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.