Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work in a Portland, OR restaurant as a server, and have had

Customer Question
an excellent work record for...
I work in a Portland, OR restaurant as a server, and have had an excellent work record for the past nine years there. Last week I had an altercation with a temporary assistant manager who was very unprofessional and called me out on something in front of the staff. I made a point of having him take me in his office. He and I talked it out, but he was very demeaning and unprofessional still. The next day I came to work he and the owner and another manager were waiting for me. They had a kangaroo court and suspended me for a week without any warning and in my opinion unjustly. My question is don't they have to at least give you one warning before suspending you? I lost several shifts because of this suspension and am now unable to pay my rent and other bills.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/4/2015
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is there a contract or handbook that calls for warnings or other discpline short of termination?
I've never been given a handbook or contract that I remember. Should I ask them for one?
I'm not sure how this works. How much time I actually have or where to find my answers. I want to know if there is something written in labor law regarding warnings before an employer can suspend an employee. Thank you for your feedback.
You should. It may require warning. Otherwise, it is a matter of their discretion.
Let me know if that is clear and acceptable.
No, it is NOT clear. Does it require a warning or not? Are there specific circumstances that require a warning? I'm not sure what you're saying here?
Is it up to the employer? or is it a matter that is written in labor law? I think you are telling me that it is up to the employer's discretion whether to give you a warning or not. Is that correct?
No warning unless handbook or contract require it.
That answers my question then. However, this was particular person was attempting a power play in a most unprofessional manner. Is there any recourse to this that you know?
I've lost over $1,000 pay in that time, maybe more.
You can appeal internally or have a lawyer negotiate.review the company handbook and policies, from HR to see if they violates protocol.Reason with them based on your good service and try to get them to reconsider.Those are your avenues!
Tina, Lawyer