How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12933
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed an Ethic claim internally against my management team

Customer Question

I filed an Ethic claim internally against my management team and now I am being harassed. Executive manager called me Aloof (bitch). My ever move is being questioned. I have one on one meeting with 2 managers. None of my co-worker is being treated in this manner. The work environment is very stressful for me. Is there anything legal I can do about this treatment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Unfortunately, there are few legal limitations on how an employer can treat their employees. In general, harassment or retaliation is only illegal if it is motivated by a legally protected trait (e.g. race, religion, gender, disability, etc.) or a legally protected activity (e.g. refusing to engage in unlawful activity, filing a wage claim, etc.). Filing an internal ethics complaint would not be a form of legally protected activity unless you were specifically refusing to engage in an unlawful activity (i.e. tax fraud on behalf of your employer). In that case, subsequent retaliation would be against the law, though even then, you would need to have quantifiable damages, such as a demotion or termination in order to have a basis for a lawsuit. Otherwise, you could sue and obtain nothing for your efforts because you haven't suffered any sort of harm for which the law can provide financial compensation. If you believe that you are being retaliated against for engaging in a legally protected activity, it would be prudent to retain a local attorney as soon as possible. See here for lawyers in your area: Otherwise, this is regrettably not a situation in which you would have any legal recourse. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.Very best wishes.