Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I request my child's primary care doctor complete FMLA papers

Customer Question
for intermittent leave. They...
I request my child's primary care doctor complete FMLA papers for intermittent leave. They included her medical records, appointments and clinical information to my employer. Can I file a lawsuit for HIPPA Violation or FMLA violation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
5/1/2015
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
It's not an FMLA violation, because it's not really an FMLA discrimination issue. FMLA doesn't discuss the protection of medical records. That is just HIPAA. You can file a complaint against the hospital for the HIPAA violation though. While they are supposed to give some information on the FMLA form, there isn't a complete release to the employer of all information (unless you signed a release). You can file that complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services in your state. Your employer isn't liable for a HIPAA violation unless they then took the information they got and disseminated it further.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer