Employment Law

If an employer reguires CPR certification for my position and…

Customer Question
If an employer reguires CPR...
If an employer reguires CPR certification for my position and they do not provide classes should I be responsible for the cost and time to complete... Read full answer
If an employer reguires CPR certification for my position and they do not provide classes should I be responsible for the cost and time to complete
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/31/2014
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no law in PA that mandates the employer to provide for or pay for certifications required for employment. In fact I have had several EMT's who are required to have continuing education to maintain their EMT certifications to keep their jobs and they too are forced to go out on their own to take the continuing education, including CPR and ACLS, without their employer providing it because there is no law requiring the employer to provide the classes required for someone to maintain their certification required for their employment.
So, yes, unfortunately, you can be liable for the cost and time to maintain your certification required to keep your job I am afraid.
I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
A friend of mine works at a gym. They require her to be CPR
A friend of mine works at a gym. They require her to be CPR certified for her job. They are telling her she needs to pay for the class out of pocket. She works at minimum wage. Is this legal? I would … read more
Lawyer,
My adult son died in May of 2015. I was present and provided
My adult son died in May of 2015. I was present and provided CPR until the emergency personal arrived. I am certified at work in CPR and must be recertified every two years. It is time for my recertif… read more
Recently an evaluation who written regarding a high school
Recently an evaluation who written regarding a high school vocational teacher. The evaluator made several false statements. The most glaring is: "A student ask Ms.K (a health careers teacher) if she c… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
My former wife works for the Department of the Interior. She
My former wife works for the Department of the Interior. She recently put in for FMLA for diabetes. An HR person said she couldn't put in for FMLA until she got sick. Is that true?… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Missed my CPR class at North Jersey Developmental Center. The
Missed my CPR class at North Jersey Developmental Center. The next one is in Jan. I am told I will have to obtain my CPR on my own by Nov 15. If I do not have my certification by then I will be suspen… read more
Partner,
I own a Home Health Care agency in Virginia specializing in
I own a Home Health Care agency in Virginia specializing in companion services for the Elderly, recently I offered a CPR course given by the Red Cross. A $90.00 course for $72.00 including CPR certifi… read more
TexLaw
TexLaw
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Is an employer obligated to pay for mandatory class time even
Is an employer obligated to pay for mandatory class time even if the employee is suspended? If I had not been suspended for not maintaining certification I would have been paid during re-certifying cl… read more
Attorney,
In Colorado, does the employer have to pay for the time it
In Colorado, does the employer have to pay for the time it takes to complete and on line certification course for CPR if the employer requires it? Should the employer expect me to complete the course,… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
If my doctor completes my FMLA certification and it is denied
If my doctor completes my FMLA certification and it is denied through Metlife. At that point, what options do I have?… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Office requires staff to attend classes that are a job requirement
Office requires staff to attend classes that are a job requirement off the clock. Also required to use vacation time when office is closed due to inclement weather instead of being alowed to take non-… read more
Lawyer,
I work in evironmental remediation (hazmat, unexploded ordnance)
I work in evironmental remediation (hazmat, unexploded ordnance) on a NAVFAC (federal,navy) contract at Marine Corp Base Camp Lejeune North Carolina. By law I am required to attend a first aid/cpr tra… read more
Lawyer,
If an employer is required to provide state mandated training
If an employer is required to provide state mandated training to employees and does not what happens.... no first aid...cpr training....no eeoc training.....ect?… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Can I get existing employees to obtain first aid & CPR as a
Can I get existing employees to obtain first aid & CPR as a condition of employment without paying them? I know several employers that do this. We will give a class at our expense that they can attend… read more
Lawdoctor
Lawdoctor
Attorney At Law,
In Idaho can an employeer require an employee to become CPR
In Idaho can an employeer require an employee to become CPR certified and require the employee to pay for the certification as a condition of continued employment?… read more
Attorney,
I am a paramedic employed at American Medical Response in Modesto,
I am a paramedic employed at American Medical Response in Modesto, CA. I am represented by National EMS Association. In November 2007 I attended a CPR class sponsored by my employer. I never received … read more
Attorney,
My question involves the application of labor laws for the
My question involves the application of labor laws for the State of WI. I own a child care business and by WI child care licensing regulations, staff are to be certified in CPR. My question is whether… read more
Attorney,
If I paid for the classes to obtain certification, can ...
If I paid for the classes to obtain certification, can an employer keep my lifeguarding and cpr certificate after I am no longer working there?… read more
I work in a gym in rural Nevada. I am not a fitness ...
I work in a gym in rural Nevada. I am not a fitness instructor and my main job is to sign up people for membership and basic instruction on how to use the equipment properly. I have been working there… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc