Employment Law

Small business - 2 female employees 1 8 months pregnant worked…

Customer Question
Small business - 2 female...
Small business - 2 female employees 1 8 months pregnant worked every day -high risk pregnancy no problems. Second employee currently laid off, brought back 1 day at end of day advises currently pregnant, high risk having some difficulties. Dr. verbally says don't lift over 30 lbs. Job is dog grooming, lifting writhing fighting dogs. Owner is... Read full answer
Small business - 2 female employees 1 8 months pregnant worked every day -high risk pregnancy no problems. Second employee currently laid off, brought back 1 day at end of day advises currently pregnant, high risk having some difficulties. Dr. verbally says don't lift over 30 lbs. Job is dog grooming, lifting writhing fighting dogs. Owner is 65 and not interested in doing half of employees job for them. My thought was to have Dr. put in writing any restrictions and providing
Dr. with detailed job description stating lifting requirements often over 30 lbs with twisting and bending. Let him be the culprit. Help please.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2014
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 5 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide information and direction in this regard

What is the question - what is it you want to accomplish, please?

I want to be protected. I don't have a position for an individual who is unable to completely perform her duties. She has stated that she is presently having some difficulties with the pregnancy (spotting). Dr. has verbally told her no lifting over 30 lbs. How do I cover me? She usually handles the larger dogs up to 150 lbs. so that this old lady doesn't have to. She is not fully trained in small dogs as she is only a part time worker. My mistake was after the holidays I laid her off and had no intention to recall but did have her come is one day when short handed. Half way through the day she informed me of pregnancy and of her difficulties. I verbally suggested that coming back to this job was probably not a good idea to which she responded its all I know and I need money.

Hello

Thank you. So you want to be able to let her go and not have her file a discrimination claim - correct?

And she is only part time, is that correct? And so was she handling the job well until now - as far as the handling of the larger dogs?

Yes - I would like to let her go and not have her file discrimination claim. Yes she was handling all size dogs previously but mostly larger.

Hello

Thank you

Obviously, as you know, this has to be handled very carefully so that if she files such a claim you can defend it. To do so, I suggest the following

1 - it is very important that you are able to show that your decision to terminate was made before you were told she was pregnant.

2 - so if you had laid her off, that would be a good start. Even though you called her back it was not for a full time permanent decision.

3 - coupled with that, if you can show that there is a decrease in your business, less grooming at this time - that would be beneficial as you can tell her that the business is not there and that she is not needed any more at this time.

4 - if you have ever had a complaint or problem with her at all then this should all be presented to her when you terminate her. Give it to her up front at the time of firing. Explain that her work was faulty in whatever ways, and/or that you have complaints about her - and that business has declined. You appreciate her willingness to come back in for the day that you were extremely busy but that you just cannot afford to pay her any more because the business has once again declined.

Business decline won't fly as I have begun training a new hire with promise and she is aware of that however, that individual is currently training while fulfilling the position of bather/brusher. It is also the beginning of the very busy time of spring and the 8 month pregnant groomer will be out for her delivery time up to 3 months. Note this girl we are discussing is unable to fill the shoes of the 8 month pr. girl.

Hello

I see. Thank you. You appear to be between a rock and a hard spot, unfortunately.

I suggest that at this time, the only thing you can do is begin to keep a log of work ethics, problems, etc. I suggest that you can gather your employees and tell them that you are running a tight ship and that this is the policy that will now be implemented. I suggest that in that policy you note that any lateness or slacking or whatever it is that you feel you can apply in your policy wil be cause for termination.

You have the right to say after one incident - your fired. But once you have a policy like that it has to apply to all employees across the board. So in other words, you cannot hold the preganant employee to it if she is late and not do the same to the others.

I suggest that at this point, having a policy and rules that need to be followed is your only recourse.

Thank you for your assistance. Being such a small intimate business you not only are coworkers but friends and therefore I have been remiss in making actual policies. Well it comes back to me and after your input today there will be written policies, with signatures that each has been informed. Again thank you. Have a good day.

Hello

You are welcome. I wish it was better news and an easier process for you. But at least with beginning the policy process you are protecting yourself for future situations.

Please let me know if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating so I can get credit for my time and information in this regard. Thank you. Your business is appreciated.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Is it legal to ask a pregnant employee to turn in a doctor's
Is it legal for me to ask a pregnant employee to turn in a doctor's clearance for her to continue working while pregnant at my house cleaning business? I have a very small house cleaning business (5 e… read more
Counselor at Law,
I have an employee that is on ssdi. a few months back he
I have an employee that is on ssdi. a few months back he hurt his back at home and had to go to the pain clinic that he has used in he past and they gave him a cortisone shot by his herniated disk. He… read more
Lawyer,
My employer has forced me off on disability because of 10lb
My employer has forced me off on disability because of 10lb lifting restriction my doctor set for me due to pregnancy but has made light duty work available to a male co worker who has no ability to u… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
Stop searching for answers—
Can you be laid off your job because you are pregnant? My
Can you be laid off your job because you are pregnant? My daughter is having a baby this fall. Her Dr wants her to limit the amount of weight she can lift to 20 lbs. Her job requires her to sometimes … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
My daughter-in-law has worked for one year and a half at a
My daughter-in-law has worked for one year and a half at a cheese company. Now, she is pregnant and her gynecologist put on her a restriction whereas she cannot lift more than 30 pounds due to her pre… read more
Attorney,
if you give an employee the weekend off with pay because she
if you give an employee the weekend off with pay because she came to work with a doctors excuse that she can work-doctor not knowing her full duties of her job. she found out she was pregnant 10 days … read more
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
We have a full-time employee that works in part in our warehouse,
We have a full-time employee that works in part in our warehouse, but is pregnant and her doctor has said her pregnancy is high-risk. She has had a series of sick days related to the pregnancy, and ha… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I have an employee that I think may be pregnant. She is a
I have an employee that I think may be pregnant. She is a veterinary technician so her job would not be safe to do pregnant. She has to lift heavy dogs, take x-rays, work around anesthetic gases. The … read more
Attorney,
I recently found out that I was pregnant in December of 2010.
I recently found out that I was pregnant in December of 2010. I was put on leave because the doctor recommended me not to do any lifting over 20 pounds. My occupation is a nurses aide. I lift from 50 … read more
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, BSBA
My OB put me on maternity leave in the beginning of my pregnancy
My OB put me on maternity leave in the beginning of my pregnancy so i was on disability about 8 months plus the FMLA leave program after the baby. I've had 4 miscarriages prior to my pregnancy, I was … read more
Employment lawyer,
Hello I have a question on labor practices.... My wife
Hello I have a question on labor practices.... My wife is a representative for a retail merchandizing company and she visits over 100 stores monthly in Eastern MA. They often send her small (sometimes… read more
I Have been out of work on short term disability for 3 mths
I Have been out of work on short term disability for 3 mths and i was released to go back with restrictions of no lifting over 15 lbs and no grooming of big dogs. I am a dog groomer. Also help lifting… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I got pregnant in January so i am currently 6 months pregnant.
I got pregnant in January so i am currently 6 months pregnant. My Dr. put me on restricred working conditions as follows: I cannot go for 4 hours with out a 10 minute break and I cannot lift anything … read more
Faye Lee
Faye Lee
JD and MBA and Masters of Law
my fiance is pregnant and was given a doctors note that she
my fiance is pregnant and was given a doctors note that she can be at work but can not lift more than 25lbs. Her job description when hired 3 years ago says that she is expected to lift 50-60 lbs. Her… read more
Attorney,
My daughter has been told to take leave (which she has accumulated
My daughter has been told to take leave (which she has accumulated for her maternity leave) while the hospital that she works for decides what to do with a 20 lb. restriction limit that has been put u… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Can my employer legally terminate me because I am pregnant.
Can my employer legally terminate me because I am pregnant. I am a nurse and I submitted a doctors note saying that I cannot lift over 15 lbs and my employer has fired me. I was pregnant before I star… read more
Partner,
I am 3 months pregnant and chose not to do heavy lifting at
I am 3 months pregnant and chose not to do heavy lifting at work. I am a nurse and we utilize hoyer lifts at the establishment i work at. However, now my employer is pushing the issue that I lift beca… read more
Partner,
I JUST HAD SURGERY AND THE DR PUT ME ON LIGHT DUTY ...
I JUST HAD SURGERY AND THE DR PUT ME ON LIGHT DUTY WITH A WEIGHT RESTRICTION OF 20LBS. I WENT INTO WORK THIS MORNING ,SHOWING MY ASST.DIRECTOR MY PAPERWORK, HE SAID TO GO ABOUT MY NORMAL DAY UNTIL HE … read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc