How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired from a new york utility in 2005. I now live in florida.

This answer was rated:

I retired from a new york utility in 2005. I now live in florida. last month i received a letter from my former employer stating that for the last 8 years they had over payed me in the amount of appx. $27,000.00. They now want me to repay that amount back.
D o I have to pay back that amount after all these years and if so do they set the terms on how i have to pay it back.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.


The answer here is somewhat complicated so please bear with me. In terms of returning or demanding that you pay back an overage, if the overage did indeed happen, then you are contractually bound to return it since you received property that did not belong to you, even if it was by error, and over an error you had no control over. This is the same logic as if a bank accidentally adds a few zeroes and sends a check to an individual--that individual is not entitled to the funds and has to return.




All states have a time limit on debt that is owed to them. Under Florida law that time limit is 5 years if the contract is in writing. That means that if they have been overpaying you for 8 years, the first 3 years are beyond the scope of collections. They can pursue the other overpayment, but not the payments from before that period of time. As for the repayment of that amount, they can withhold all of it, or create a payment plan You likewise can negotiate with them over the withholding by claiming that a huge one-time withholding would detrimentally affect you when you did not in any way contribute to this situation.


Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you