How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118159
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife works for boston public schools and had to have a waiver

This answer was rated:

My wife works for boston public schools and had to have a waiver filed for her cert to come through to teach in mass. She signed a contract to make 80k yearly anf yhey have pd her less then a substitute teacher. ehenever she asks anything they just say they ate waiting on on paperwork it has now been 4 months. We have fallen behind on all our payments my wifes car has been repossessed. And they owe her over 10k in back pay. Shes afraid if shr says anythibg shell just be fired. Shes in a union does she have any rights?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was the contract for pay contingent on her certification being approved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No . The waiver to teach was approved. HR keeps losing all her documents and she keeps getting brushed off anytime she calls. They lost her I9 3 times and made her come downtown each time to fill out a new one at $30 each time for parking fees. Total burecratic nonsense. All the while we as a family are suffering. After insurance is taken outvtheres barely a check. Last year the waiver was put in and taken care of in days. This is a different city but same waiver and its coming up on 120 days.

Thank you for your reply.

If she has filed the proper paperwork and they have failed to properly process it, then this is grounds for filing a grievance through the union, as the union is the sole agent to bargain between the employee and employer. Thus, the first step would be to file the grievance through the union. The next step is that she would be able to file a complaint with the labor board for unfair labor practices for them not dealing with her paperwork in a proper manner and negligently delaying her pay in breach of her contract.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you