Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been offered a severance package with a lump sum distribution.

there is a clause that...
I have been offered a severance package with a lump sum distribution. there is a clause that reads this package has been negotiated but I have had no input. Can I counter with a deferred payout without risking losing the severance?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.

A severance agreement is something that is at the discretion of the employer. The employee is free to negotiate with the employer for the terms of the severance agreement with the employer. You are free to make a counter offer to the employer and negotiate the terms of the agreement with the employer and the employer most times will not withdraw their severance offer, event hough they could possibly do so. In most case the employer will either offer another counter offer or would remain sticking to their offer.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney