Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

is an employer allowed to call a meeting during an employees

is an employer allowed to...
is an employer allowed to call a meeting during an employee's lunch break and them deny his lunch break after the meeting
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/31/2013
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

Did the employee have their pay reduced as though they did get a lunch break?

not to my knowledge. it is to my understanding that my husband was asked what he wanted on his pizza he told them he didn't want pizza that he had his lunch.so I am assuming his employer is going to provide food during this meeting but that is my opinion is

Ok. Well, Federal law doesn't require that we be given lunch breaks at all. The only thing Federal law says on the issue is that the employer can't deduct pay from our checks for lunch unless we get at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted time for that lunch. Then the employer can deduct pay.

If the employer doesn't deduct pay, however, there is no requirement for a lunch break under Federal law. Some states have passed their own laws creating a lunch break requirement, but Ohio is not one of them.

So, as long as he is paid for his lunch period during this meeting, the employer can require him to be present during a lunch time meeting and not allow a later lunch.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

so if he attends this meeting (he gets 1 hr non paid lunch) he should be able to still take his lunch correct?

No, that's not correct.

Lunch is not legally required in either state or federal law. If the employer says that this lunch meeting is his lunch break, that's legal.

They will just have to pay him for that hour, as he'll have duties (the meeting). He can't later legally demand his own lunch time, because that is not required under either state or federal law.

I appreciate all of your help! thank you very much. his employer in my opinion is trying to make it miserable for him so he quits. there is a lot of frustration between the two of them and it' like oil and water they don't mix. but thanks again for your help. sorry that I can't afford to tip you I'm on fixed income, all I can do is give you a very great rating

No worries. I'm glad that I was able to answer your questions, even though my answer couldn't be favorable.

Take care.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer