TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am a parts manager at a local auto supply house, recently

I am a parts manager at a local auto supply house, recently there was a fraudulent return under the stor managers CSR #, he claims to not have dont it, that he left the store before the action occured, which puts me and another employee in a bad position, since we were there at the time it happened. I know for certain it was not me alothough I cannot consent for the other employee. Our systems have password ***** so in order to do these returns, one would need the others password. If questioned by LP, how should I approach this ?
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'd tell the truth. I'd vehemently deny being involved, and I'd offer to assist in any way that they deem appropriate. There's nothing much else that you can do. Unfortunately, if you don't have an employment contract, then you are an employee at-will, which means that you can be terminated for the fraudulent return even if there is no evidence against you. It's considered a business decision. So, I think the best approach is to simply deny involvement, act as open as possible, and offer to help in any way possible. Hopefully, you will come across as helpful and honest, and LP will turn its attention elsewhere.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To TJ, Esq." in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So by denying any potential accusation, theres nothing they can do, theres no cameras in the store, and all the process of the return was done using his numbers and noone else's ?

Hello again.

Q: So by denying any potential accusation, theres nothing they can do

A: No, that's not true. As I mentioned in my earlier answer, they can fire you. They don't need any pictures or numbers. If you don't have an employment contract, then you are an employee at-will, which means that you can be terminated for the fraudulent return even if there is no evidence against you.

Will criminal charges be filed? Not likely, because they do need evidence for that. But no evidence is required to fire you.

That's why if I were you, I would appear extremely honest and cooperative. If you appear defiant or have an attitude, then you may be fired regardless of whether there is any evidence because they may figure that they don't want to take a chance.

Does that help to clarify?