Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked for a company for over 4 years and had health problems.

while I WAS ON THE...
I worked for a company for over 4 years and had health problems. while I WAS ON THE operating table they fired me.I was put on disability S.S.until I was 66. can I collect my pennon from them that they say I had to put in 5 years to get it
10/24/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to collect on a pension, one must be a vested employee in that pension plan. While each pension plan has its own vesting period, under ERISA the maximum time for vesting is 10-12 years (depending on the type of plan). If your plan description states you are vested in 5 years, then according to ERISA you would not be eligible to collect anything from that pension until you had worked a minimum of 5 years.

If you are a non-vested employee, you need to read the plan description because you would be entitled to receive back any money you put into the plan yourself.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney