How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19180
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a Washington State Employee working for Childrens Administration.

This answer was rated:

I'm a Washington State Employee working for Children's Administration. After having my second child I requested to work part-time. My request was granted. A year and a half later, management changed. The new Area Administrator claimed that part-time workers did not fit the business needs of the office. She directed that I go back full time in my position for there was a need for full-time and not part-time. I attempted to negotiate. Asking for a change in position, etc. to maintain a part-time status. I was told I had to go full time, the alternative was lay off.

I decided to go full-time but applied for different positions (promotion). I was hired for another state position which is my current position. Shortly thereafter, I was informed that another worker was allowed to work part-time. I inquired, and was basically dismissed. That worker continues to work part-time in the same position I held.

I must note that I am African-american and the other worker is Caucasian. The only explanation I have received is that office needs have changed.

I submitted a written complain and am awaiting response. I'm not hopeful that I'll receive a response I'll agree with and I'm preparing to appeal. Should I lawyer up?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

It's probably too early to lawyer up. Instead, you should have the third party EEOC investigate and review the excuses of the employer so that you can truly know the strength of any claim before you start spending money on it.

The EEOC is a free government agency tasked with doing investigations on these issues. More importantly, you have to go through the EEOC to obtain a right to sue letter anyway, so it's where you have to go anyway. You can go after working with an attorney and paying them, but the better option is to go through the EEOC first, without an attorney.
Allen M., Esq. and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Employment Law Questions