Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I live in the state of Connecticut. I am currently on COBRA

I live in the state...
I live in the state of Connecticut. I am currently on COBRA insurance from a temporary assignment with Adecco. I am now working for OfficeTeam another temporary agency and they offer health insurance but the plan is terrible. My assignment is probably only going to be for 8 weeks.

Do I have to use OfficeTeam's health insurance or can I keep my Adecco COBRA health insurance?

Thank you.
10/13/2013
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there

-

How many months have you been on the COBRA from the prior employer?

-

MARY

two months

Hello again Carol -

-

If you are purchasing COBRA through your former employer and you become employed by an employer who offers health coverage (even if the coverage is not as good) you are not entitled to continue under the COBRA coverage any longer. Here is a great article regarding the 10 situations where you are not entitled to continue your COBRA benefits -- http://skloverworkingwisdom.com/blog/index.php/ten-circumstances-when-cobra-is-not-available-to-you/

-

Obviously, what the former and current employer are aware of is what you want to tell them and you may be able to continue the COBRA benefits for a few months until it is pointed out to you that you are no longer eligible for them (there are no criminal penalties or anything like that if you continue the COBRA and do not take the new employers plan). However, you may be jeapordizing your rights to get into the new employers health plan if you do not do it within a certain number of days after you begin employment.

-

I wish I had better news for you on this. Please let me know if you have further questions.

-

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am not credited for assisting you today unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing a positive rating below will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Thank you for your answer. I wish it was better -- this has become an integrity issue for me so I guess I will go with the new employer's insurance.

Can I buy insurance through the state of Connecticut Obamacare insurance exchange instead of through my new employer?

Hello again Carol -

-

I do believe if you can get either better or less expensive coverage through the ObamaCare exchanges that you can elect the insurance coverage through that route (the main criteria is your income) -- but it is so new that they are still tinkering with things so please have a look at this website and it will get you through to the Conn exchange. http://insuranceexchangehq.com/

-

MARY

-

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer