How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my rights as an employee, and also is the smoking

This answer was rated:

What are my rights as an employee, and also is the smoking gun, in a lawsuit from hired electrical contractor by my employer? Employer has produced lies to cover up a mistake he made and I am a witness to these lies. I am told, a deposition will be taken from me.

I will not lie on his/company's behalf because of constant corruption on his part.

How can my job be affected if I speak the truth? Do I have to give my deposition in the presence of employer or in private. What should I do?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you testify to the truth under oath and then suffer retaliation from the employer for doing so, then this could be grounds to sue the employer for retaliation and seek damages from them for them taking action against you for telling the truth in your deposition under oath.

Unfortunately, you have to give your deposition in front of both parties to the suit because every party has a right to question someone in a deposition.

If your employer subsequent to the deposition begins retaliating, such as writing you up for things you were never written up for or terminates you, then you could have grounds to sue the employer for damages.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you