Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was sent a termination letter from a human resources provider

that my boss notified them...
I was sent a termination letter from a human resources provider that my boss notified them to terminate me on 9/30. I met with him that day and I knew he was considering terminating my role because he had changed the strategy for the role I was hired for (sales manager) and had no time to help me with my new responsibilities and wanted to "put me on hold" for a couple months until he could focus on the business. Then he asked for a proposal for my role and the business and to meet with him one week later. He knows I have continued to do work for the company preparing sales collateral for the other sales reps and am still on email and that I had no idea he was terminating me that day. What are my rights? I called him and left a message to call me back today although we are scheduled to meet tomorrow to discuss all the proposals I sent him yesterday.
10/10/2013
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I’m sorry to hear about this matter.

You cannot be terminated without being notified you are terminated. In this case you continued to provide labor to the employer throughout all of this.Thus, you are at least owed your regular compensation throughout this time.

Now you need to determine if you are actually terminated. If you are, then you can file for unemployment. You are owed your wage until at least the last date of your work. If the employer refuses to pay this wage, I'd recommend you file a wage claim with the state, which you can find the form to file here.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer