How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116712
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im having an issue with my current employer. They have just

This answer was rated:

I'm having an issue with my current employer. They have just given me a verbal warning for being to slow to process. The progressive discipline will continue until we meet the newer higher processing goals or we are terminated. So, I'm being punished for what? being me? I can't help that I'm dyslexic... ??? I told them in my original interview that I was highly dyslexic and would be slower to process, read, learn, etc. They hired me as a temp to hire from July 31, 2012 to Nov. 5, 2012, then Hired me on at that time permanently. I told the HR Manager at that time the I had a leaning disability and what it was and how it would affect my work. I've ask if my work is the problem and they've said no, to as much, it's great we just need more of it. Ok, can I protect my job? or do I have some sort of case, and who in Overland Park Ks to I talk to concerning this. I'm sure that they have not handled this correctly. But, what do I do next, who do I see about this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You are not really handling it right, you are correct. You need to get your doctor's evaluation describing your disability and how it permanently impairs a major life function and the doctor needs to describe what types of accommodations would be reasonable to allow you to continue doing your job. Then when you have that you need to send a written demand to the employer attaching that report. In your letter you need to state you are making an official request for reasonable accommodation under your rights according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. You need to then specify what reasonable accommodations you would require to be able to do your job. You should suggest more than one accommodation, because the employer does not have to give you just what you ask for as long as they give you some accommodation that is reasonable.

You have to provide written documentation to the employer, they do not have to call around to get the documentation. So get a recent report from your doctor and have them describe your condition in detail as I stated above and submit that to the employer with your written request for reasonable accommodation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Employment Law Questions