Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can an empoyer change your date of hire anniversary, I was

Can an empoyer change your date of hire anniversary, I was hired and started in September they changed it to January so that I get my 2 weeks vacation in January. Is this legal?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: No, it is not legal to change the date of your hire. That would amount to falsification of document and that is illegal. However, under both federal and state laws, employers are not required to provide their employees with vacation. So, the number of weeks of vacation that you are granted are solely at the discretion of your employer. However, if your employer has written policy of granting its employees a number of weeks of vacation based on their hire dates and failed to do this in your case because your hire date has been fraudulently changed by the employer, then you can file complaint against the employer with Texas Workforce Commission. For more information, click here.

How to file for wage claim