Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

This is a medico-legal question. I closed my private practice

after 12 years. The practice...
This is a medico-legal question. I closed my private practice after 12 years. The practice overhead and staff was shared with one or two physicians who were not in formal partnership. I closed the practice 4 years ago, moved and am now semiretired. The medical records were left in common storage. After my departure some of my patients were seen by the remaining physicians, some found other physicians. Now the entire practice will be closed and I was notified to take care of the records of my patients. There is no written agreement on this issue. Am I obliged to take care of these records or not?
Thank you very much, Ziga Tretjak
9/27/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you were a private practitioner and left the records in the office but had no formal medical corporate partnership, then yes, you are responsible for your medical records care and retention. You need to send letters (at least a postcard) to all patients informing them of their records being available and how to get them. Also, depending on the type of record they have to be retained securely for 7-10 years from date of last visit, so you are going to need to find some secure storage place for the records based on the HIPAA rules for medical record security until the patients claim their records or that time expires.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

I appreciate your answer, additional info is that I left the practice 3.6 years ago and at that time had public announcement of closure and mailed letters to active patients as well as those who inquired for a visit. Does that change the rules of engagement?

Thank you for your response.

The notice then would not be required again, but you have to maintain them still to complete the full 10 years of retention (I say 10 years because it is 7-10 depending on the record so to be on the safe side we tell our doctor customers to keep them the 10 years to avoid having to sort through the records to determine which are 7 and which are 10 year records). So you have to keep them only approximately 6.4 more years.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney