How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12622
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have requested by personnel file from my boss 5 days ago,

This answer was rated:

I have requested by personnel file from my boss 5 days ago, he has not responded, what should I do?
Good afternoon and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

MA law provides that employers who fail to timely comply with a personnel file request may be fined not less than $500 and not more than $2,500. (Note that the fine is not paid to the employee but rather collected by the government. Think of it like a "ticket.") Failure may also subject an employer to criminal prosecution.

An employee's recourse under the circumstances is to file a complaint with the MA Attorney General, which has the power to enforce the provisions of the personnel records statute. Upon receipt of a complaint, the Attorney General’s office will investigate and act if it deems appropriate to do so.

See here to file a complaint online: The complaint type will be "wage and hour."

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes and kindest regards.
Patrick, Esq. and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you