Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

HI, I Just go terminated today and they offer me a severance

pay for 8 year but...
HI, I Just go terminated today and they offer me a severance pay for 8 year but i must sign a separation agreement and general release form. what should i do sign or not and if i sign can i collect unemployment?
9/17/2013
John, Employment Lawyer
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today - I'm assuming you meant to state they offered you severance pay for a year (not 8 years). A year severance is a fairly generous offer these days. Unless you have a strong case against the employer, you'd probably want to accept it. For example if you have a blatant age, race, gender discrimination case or were not paid a significant amount of overtime, these may give you reason to second guess a decision to accept the offer. If you have no suspicion that there was foul play in your termination, then seriously consider accepting the offer. Employment termination claims are tougher to win than portrayed in the media and much tougher than most people realize. You would not be eligible to collect unemployment in most cases where you are collecting severance pay; if you are collecting your full wage in severance you most certainly would not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

Let me know if you have any further questions or follow up matters on this.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer