Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Two weeks ago I contacted a staffing agency that I had previously

spoken too earlier this year...
Two weeks ago I contacted a staffing agency that I had previously spoken too earlier this year to see if they new of any positions that were available. I went to an interview last Tuesday and told the company that I liked what they had to offer and they said I had the job. I told them I would call them Monday and let them know if I had turned in my notice. Over the week I decided to stay with my current employer. I did not call the other company Monday nor the staffing agency employee. I had previously interviewed with this same company earlier this year and they offered me a position at that time as well. This afternoon my manager came to the job that I was working at and said the Vice President had received a phone call about me quitting and going to work for the other company. My train of thought is that either the staffing agency employee which had tried to make contact with me earlier this week or the manager of the other company had became upset and tried to have me fired by contacting the VP and offering this information. So my question is do I have any legal grounds for suit. The reason being is even if I am not terminated this action could hurt my chances of promotion in the future.
9/14/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetfighter :

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation,

wallstreetfighter :

you could consider a defamation lawsuit against the staffing agency that made the call,

wallstreetfighter :

if they made the call, with the intent to hurt you

wallstreetfighter :

and that they knew you did not quit,

wallstreetfighter :

In Texas, the elements of a defamation claim are

1. publication of a statement;

2. that was defamatory concerning the plaintiff;

3. with the requisite degree of fault.

wallstreetfighter :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive service,

Customer:

what type of lawyer should I contact about this situation

wallstreetfighter :

Any employment attorney or defamation attorney can do this,

Customer:

because I talked to one earlier and he said I had no grounds

wallstreetfighter :

why would you have no grounds for a defamation case?

Customer:

I have no idea

wallstreetfighter :

The law above allows you to do this,

wallstreetfighter :

the staffing agency made a false statement about you

wallstreetfighter :

that caused you harm,

wallstreetfighter :

and they knew it was false,

wallstreetfighter :

It maybe that they want you to wait till you suffer damage,

wallstreetfighter :

such as a termination

Customer:

ok thank you for your help.

wallstreetfighter :

A lawyer would first send a letter threatening legal action,

wallstreetfighter :

to the staffing agency so they stop,

wallstreetfighter :

if they do not,

wallstreetfighter :

you would have a suit, but your damages would be limited unless you can prove

wallstreetfighter :

harm was done to you by the statements

wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer